Return to Learn - Technology Support
2020 - 2021
Virtual Learning - Technology Video Tips
Scroll through this youtube playlist to find a topic to learn more about.
Lake Anne Student Daily Schedules for the Virtual Start
Technology Tips for Families
Dedicate a space for your child to do their work.
The computer needs to be on a level surface. (Laptops should not be used on your child’s lap.)
Everyone can see where your child is working when their camera is on.
Students can email teachers through their Gmail account. (@email).
Your child may also use this email to reach out to their counselor and other school staff. Parent emails will not go through fcpsschools.net
Check for assignments and announcements in Google Classroom or FCPS 24-7 Learning.
Help your child stick to a schedule.
Have your child follow the schedule for meeting with teachers.
Your child may use the other days to complete assigned work and check in when needed.
Encourage your child to be open and flexible to learn this new way together.
Parents and Families - Do you need Tech Support?
1. Call the Parent Technology Help Desk at 833-921-3277 (833-921-FCPS). This will be answered by staff members between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week. Please specify if you need an interpreter when you call.
Students - Do you need Tech Support?
1 – Check in with your teacher or school technology specialist (TSSpec), William Gaitan firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
2 – Go to our Student Technology Support Request to submit a request for help.
General Computer Use
1. Disconnect, then reconnect to the internet.
2. Restart your computer.
1. Refresh the web page by clicking on the refresh icon in the upper left hand corner of the web browser.
2. Try using another browser such at Internet Explorer or Chrome
3. Check your Internet connection.
- Username: Student ID number
- Password: The FCPS network shares the same password with all FCPS programs.
Forgot or Need to Change Your Password for FCPS 24-7, SIS Account, Google, or the FCPS Network?
- Recover or reset a forgotten password or change an existing password by visiting our password management page.
- Still need help? Submit a ticket on our Parent and Student IT Support Portal and a tech support person will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra - real-time meetings between students and teachers.
What do I need?
Laptop, WiFi, Chrome Browser
How do I login?
You will get an email with a link to your FCPS Gmail (fcpsschools.net) account. See the FCPS Gmail help below if you need help logging in.
Make sure you check theclass name and save email or bookmark link in Chrome browse by clicking three dots in upper right hand corner of web browser, choose Bookmarks, then Bookmark this Tab
The email will be from Blackboard Collaborate and will say:
- Your Blackboard Collaborate session is scheduled:
- Name: Class Name
- Starts: September 8, 2020 11:14:00 AM EDT
- Ends: N/A
- Join Session:
- Your link: There will be a personal link here. Don't share with anyone else.
Rules for using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Enter with the microphone turned off .
- Raise your hand and wait to be called on. Turn the microphone on .
- If all students have their microphones on, you will not be able to hear clearly.
- Use school appropriate language and images when writing.
- Enter with the video off .
- Follow your teacher’s direction on whether to turn on your video .
- You always have the option to keep your camera turned off.
- Look at what is around and behind you before turning on the camera.
- Appropriate school attire must be worn at all times.
- If your network connection is slow, turn off video.
Leaving the Session
Leave the session when your teacher tells you by:
- At the top left hand side of your screen, click on the three lines .
- At the bottom of the list, click on Leave Session
Create Easy to Find Links to Virtual Learning (BBCU) in Google Calendar - Learn how to take invitations from Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (BBCU) sent in Gmail and then create easy-to-find links using Google Calendar events. This way you can easily schedule and find the link to online class, without having to look through multiple emails. (Video, 3:19)
Google Suite - G Suite for Education provides a suite of cloud-based tools to schools. The tools and services include messaging and collaboration apps, such as Gmail, Google Drive and Calendar, Classroom, and Meet.
Signing on to the Google Classroom (Video, 3:06)
If your child's teacher is using Google Classroom for assignments, you will need to log on using your child's FCPSschools.net email account.
What do I need?
A computer (desktop, laptop, tablet, or smart phone) and internet connection.
How do I login?
- Open Google Chrome
- Go to www.fcpsschools.net
- Enter your child’s 7-digit studentID number and click Next
- Enter your child’s FCPS password and click Next
- Access Gmail from the 3x3 apps grid in the upper-right
Locating Assignments in Google Classroom (Video, 3:51)
Submitting Assignments in Google Classroom (Video, 5:16)
Blackboard Learn: Parent View and SIS Access
- get access to your student's courses
- view College and Academic Career Planning (for Middle and High school students)
- view and update Emergency Care information.
- view your student's records including scheduling, attendance, discipline, health, grades, test results, and academic programs
FCPS 24-7 Learning provides parents access to available courses the student is enrolled in, Naviance Student to view College and Academic Career Planning (for Middle and High school students), weCare@school to view and update Emergency Care information, and Bus Stop Information via the Bus Stop module.
The Student Information System (SIS) supports all aspects of a student’s educational experience and includes demographic data and information related to scheduling, attendance, discipline, health, grades, test results, and academic programs. SIS is a secure, web-based system accessible by staff, students, and parents.